Reporting Abuse

You are here:

If you believe the safety, welfare or wellbeing of a child or vulnerable person is being compromised or is at risk of being compromised, it is important you report your concerns. If you are a diocesan worker, you have legal and policy-based obligations to report.

Any diocesan worker who reports their concerns for a child or vulnerable person in good faith, will be supported by the Diocese, even if the concerns are later shown to be groundless.  The diocesan worker’s supervisor must ensure that no adverse consequences occur to the worker, because of making such a report.

Dealing with an emergency …

Ask yourself three questions to decide if you are dealing with an emergency situation:

  1. Is someone seriously injured or in need of urgent medical help?
  2. Is your life or property being threatened (by fire, flood or a man-made threat)?
  3. Have you just witnessed a serious accident or crime?

If you answered “Yes” to any of the above questions you are dealing with an emergency situation.  Stay calm and ring 000

For detailed information on ringing 000 emergency services (Police, Fire, Ambulance):

I believe I have witnessed a crime …

If you suspect you have witnessed a crime, or have been made aware of a crime, that doesn’t warrant a 000 emergency call, you should still contact the local Police station. You can locate the local Police station online:

You may also contact the Police Assistance Line:

P:    131 444 (24 hours, 7 days a week)

I have concerns for a child …

If you suspect on reasonable grounds that a child is at risk of significant harm, contact the DCJ Child Protection Helpline:
P:   132 111  (24 hours a day, 7 days per week)

If you want more information about what constitutes child abuse, and your responsibilities to report it:

If you want more information about what constitutes child abuse, and the indicators of abuse:

When determining how serious your concerns for a child may be, always consider whether that child has any particular risk factors, including:

  • age, the younger the more dependent
  • physical disabilities, developmental delays or medical conditions
  • social isolation
  • culturally diverse background
  • diverse sexuality and gender
  • the absence of protective adults, i.e. nobody looking out for the child on whom they can depend.

I have concerns for a vulnerable person…

If an elderly person is being abused, you can help them contact the NSW Elder Abuse Helpline & Resource Unit:            
P:   1800 628 221  (Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm)           

If an adult with a developmental delay or intellectual disability is being abused, you can assist them, or on their behalf you can contact the National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline: 
P:    1800 880 052 (Mon-Fri 9am-7pm)                                 

If you want more information about what constitutes abuse of vulnerable persons, and the options available to obtain support and make reports, refer to:

If you want more information about the indicators of abuse and neglect of a vulnerable adult, refer to:

I have concerns for a Diocesan Worker ...

If you believe a diocesan worker has been abusive to a child or vulnerable person, you must report them to the Office of Safeguarding:

P:    02 4979 1390 available during office hours Monday to Friday



For more information on what constitutes unacceptable conduct by diocesan workers, refer to: